I don’t know where this originated but I
stole . . . um borrowed this from my friend’s Facebook page because I found it full of inspiration and truth.
Here’s the thing, life is not worth living if we spend all our time worrying and stressing over things beyond our control. Life should be something we embrace every day with passion and joy.
I am hereby making a promise to myself to live my life as joyously as possible. I’m going to trust the universe to provide what I need, and meanwhile I am going to continue to work towards achieving the dreams and goals that I have for my life.
What exactly are those dreams and goals? Well they seem to be every-changing, but that’s okay. I happened to read a quote today from Martha Steward (not one of my usual sources, I admit). She said,
“My new motto is: When you’re through changing, you’re through. “
Changing dreams and goals is part of living. Learning how to embrace those changes to live a fulfilled and happy life is perhaps the most important thing we can do as individuals.
Again, I ask myself, what are my dreams and goals? I can only answer for this moment in time, but here is my list in no particular order of importance:
- Give Sarah a life full of opportunity, learning, and travel.
- Travel myself to visit all the places I still dream of heading (including England, Ireland, Nepal, Australia, New Zealand, Greece, Alaska, revisiting Bali and Japan, and many places I haven’t even thought of yet).
- Write several books that actually get read, some for young adults, some non-fiction, some for adults.
- Direct some more professional productions for adults.
- Direct some more professional productions for children.
- Actually make a living as an independent, freelance writer/theater educator/theater artist
- Develop arts programming that makes a difference in people’s lives.
- Have a home that is my own. It doesn’t have to be huge, but something comfortable where we can live, create, and grow together as a family.
- Write a script and create a puppet show with/for Nathan.
- Find a way to merge my love of teaching/mentoring young women with all of the other passions of my life.
- Meet some of my favorite blogging buddies live and in person.
- Become healthy in body, mind and soul.
The list is long but not impossible. It is also a list that can last years, or change with time. I think for me it is not about achieving goals in a specific time period, but enjoying the journey as I work toward those goals.
All we need to know about life, then, is that life is worth living as passionately and beautifully as possible.