Part of the reason I was able to find my voice for my 100 WCGU yesterday came from a surprise gift (and slight kick in the butt) given to my be Midlife Singlemum, a blogger from Israel who shares her story with wisdom and grace. Check out this post of hers called “The 10 Commandments of Facebook”. Anyway, in her contribution to the challenge, Midlife Singlemum graciously gave me The Beautiful Blogger Award which asks you to thank your nominator (Thank you so much Rachel!) write 10 things about yourself people may not know, and nominate 6 bloggers.
Of course, secret rebel that I am, I am choosing not to pass the award on to others. No, I’m not selfish, I just simply can’t choose out of all the beautiful blogs I follow. Call me lazy if you must.
I also don’t know that I can tell you 10 things that I haven’t already revealed in this blog. I feel like I have been so open and honest here that I only have the deepest, darkest secrets left.
However, as today is the first day of summer, I thought I might be able to come up with some summer themed truths about myself. But first, for your entertainment, a summer acrostic written by the true poet in the family:
Swimming in the pool
Under water here we come
More free time
Reading in the night
by Sarah KramerLee 6/19/2012
The poem leads to the first new (summer inspired) fact that I will reveal.
- I am sometime jealous of my daughter’s talent. I know, I know, she gets it from me, but she is sometimes so fearless about creating. Of course, at other times she gives up if she can’t do things perfectly so perhaps she takes after me a little bit too much.
- As a celebration of the last day of school, Sarah and I watched Mama Mia last night. We set it to the sing along version and spent much of the night singing and dancing at the top of our lungs. I loved every minute of it!
- I loved playing mini golf, especially during the summers when I was in college. My friend Barb and I would meet at least once a summer in a competitive challenge. Sarah and I went to a nearby course this past Sunday, and we each got several holes-in-one. Loved it!
- I was a lifeguard at pools for many years. And, although I had only minor saves, that job revealed hidden power in me. Or perhaps I should say my inner HULK. Some football players were teasing me one summer, about how I was too short to be able to save anyone and yadda yadda yadda. They were causing a lot of problems, and I lost my temper. I grabbed one of them, twisted his arm behind his back, dragged him around the pool and threw him out the gate. Don’t mess with me when I am angry.
- I love snorkeling in the ocean, when you can actually see the fish. However, I really don’t like swimming in the ocean at the beach as I am terrified of stepping on some spiny creature. I am most terrified by jellyfish, partially because some boys ripped on in half and threw it at me when I was a child.
- I am also afraid of firecrackers. I love watching fireworks from a distance, but I cannot stand being to close. Again, a childhood trauma from a cherry bomb thrown a little too close. My favorite time watching fireworks was from a boat in Japan.
- I like to be busy during the summer. I’m not good with lazing around and sunbathing.
- I could live on ice cream all the time.
- I am tired of the heat from my long hair and am planning on chopping it off.
- My attitude toward this summer hasn’t been great, but I am determined to change that.
Happy summer everyone!